#Oneword 2021 Embrace & Serve

A few years ago I joined other educators and leaders in declaring a guiding word (#oneword) for the new year.  I didn't choose a word last year but had I done it, it would have been "blessings".  The past few days while cleaning and running, I've put some thought into what my #oneword would be for 2021 and I have landed on the following two words, embrace and serve.

EMBRACE

I landed on the word "embrace" while I was out for a beautiful snowy run last night in my trail shoes.  When I came across my first obstacle it came to me, embrace;  embrace the obstacles in front of you.  Running outside in the winter isn't my favorite and in past years I've appreciated having the gym as my escape as the temps drop below 30 degrees.  In an effort to continue limit my exposure to COVID that is not possible. so over the course of the next three months I am going to need to embrace

  • the conditions of the outdoors and be grateful that I have a place to exercise, while at times it might not be the most comfortable and ideal conditions.  I am going to have to be okay with shorter runs and I will do my best to not focus on how long it takes me to complete the miles and how uncomfortable I am in the process.  (I had two of those runs this past week).  I am going to embrace the adventure within and look for silver linings.
I am going to embrace (professionally): 
  • any challenges that may come my way with being an educator in the middle of a pandemic.
  • growth opportunities that may present themselves. 
  • learning opportunities that come my way.
  • structured time for reading and engaging with my PLN.
  • online learning opportunities through the Disney Institute courses.
  • opportunities to present at professional learning conferences.
  • some long term goals and next steps in my career.
I am going to embrace (personally): 
  • live in the present moment and be intentional in making the most of each day.  "The way to the future is living a good today." -Mel Lawrenz
  • my tiny living space and the work that I've done to create more space and make it feel like home.
  • slowing down (as a result of the pandemic) and making the most of every day.
  • time each day to reflect on the things that I am grateful for.
  • taking care of myself with an intentionally created workout plan and quality cooked meals.
  • working out at home in the space that I have uncovered.
  • recalculating and figuring out where I am going to plant my roots more permanently.
  • who I am and what I'm seeking in a future relationship and any opportunities that may present themselves.
  • the opportunity to continue to grow in my faith and pursue the plan that God has for me.

SERVE

An area I want to continue to grow is in my servant leadership.

I am going to serve
  • in my school community by continuing to support my colleagues and the professional learning opportunities that I'm trusted to facilitate.
  • in my role as a caseworker for Lost Dogs of Wisconsin coaching owners in the proper ways to generate sightings in an effort to get their dog home safely.
  • in my running community by continuing to support my teammates and lend a hand or words of encouragement when I can.
  • through my role as a Friends of Retzer Nature Center board member by continuing to support future initaitives and projects.
  • as a daughter and will hopefully get the opportunity to quarantine long enough to be able to support my parents in some of the projects that they have at their house.
  • in my professional learning community by continuing to blog and hopefully inspire others through some of the work that we've been doing over the last handful of years.
  • as a prayer warrior, praying for those that request and need it most.



Comments

  1. Love this!

    Here is a really cool 2021 posting that was shared with me by a former KM teacher and his wife.


    Hello! Welcome to Flight #2021. We are prepared to take off into the New Year. Please make sure your Attitude and Blessings are secured and locked in an upright position. All self-destructive devices should be turned off at this time. All negativity, hurt and discouragement should be put away. Should we lose Altitude under pressure, during the flight, reach up and pull down a Prayer. Prayers will automatically be activated by Faith. Once your Faith is activated you can assist other passengers. There will be NO BAGGAGE allowed on this flight. The Captain (GOD) has cleared us for takeoff. Destination GREATNESS.

    Yessssss we have already purchased our ticket!s !!!!! We are BUCKLED IN AND READY FOR TAKEOFF!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What If? A Vision for Learner Leadership (EdCamp Student Leader)

Why I #Edcamp

Hitting the Ground Running...Quite Literally #Accountability #Oneword2017